WINTER! As residents of Illinois, we have to take extra precautions when dealing with the cold – especially extreme cold like we experienced last year.
We’re talking about the temperatures that cause frostbite in minutes, freeze pipes and windows, and can prevent vehicles from starting or running properly. Most notably, you can experience the effects of the frigid cold in your home even with the furnace running.
Here are some helpful tips and precautions to take for the extreme cold this winter.
- Don’t crank the heat. You might feel like your home just can’t get warm in extreme cold. Avoid turning up the heat more. Instead, double down on blankets and warm sweaters! You don’t want your furnace to break during a cold snap due to turning it up too high and making it work twice as hard as normal.
- Don’t be afraid to turn the thermostat down a degree or two. If your furnace is constantly running trying to reach the temperature you have your thermostat set to, consider a lower temperature setting. This way, your gas furnace will turn off sooner – saving money on utility bills and reducing wear and tear on your unit.
- Consider weather stripping around your windows and doors. You might notice that during cold snaps ice forms on windows and doors. Grab some weather stripping from your local hardware store to better seal them and help keep the warmth inside your home.
- Make sure your outside vents are clear. Check your outside vents frequently to be sure they are free of debris. Make sure your vent is clear from snow and winter debris to make sure those byproducts are exiting your home correctly.
- Registers and vents indoors should also be clear. Double check all of your indoor vents to make sure none are blocked and that they are all open. Closed off vents can lead to cold rooms and overworked furnaces.
- If you’re going out of town, have a neighbor check your home. If you are going to leave your house for more than one day. Ask a friend or neighbor to check on your house to be sure that the furnace is running properly and that no pipes are freezing.
Feel like your furnace isn’t ready to tackle extreme cold? Get in touch with us and we can do a furnace clean and check for you!